Students at Starke Elementary School temporarily relocated after mold found

<p>Starke Elementary School, located at 1000 W. Weldon St., closed Aug. 22 due to mold. A reopening date is still to be determined. Getting rid of the mold is a lengthy process.</p>

Starke Elementary School, located at 1000 W. Weldon St., closed Aug. 22 due to mold. A reopening date is still to be determined. Getting rid of the mold is a lengthy process.

While other schools in Bradford County were swinging their doors open to welcome students last week, Starke Elementary School was shutting its closed.

During the summer months, Starke Elementary School staff realized an old issue had resurfaced: mold.

After reviewing an air quality test on Aug. 22 that came back positive for elevated levels of mold, fungi and bacteria, Superintendent Chad Farnsworth announced the school would close temporarily.

Bradford School spokesman Brian Graham said that Starke Elementary has experienced mold problems for more than 16 years.

For now, students have been temporarily relocated to alternative schools.

Southside Elementary School will host kindergarten and fourth grade, Lawtey Elementary will host first and second grade, the Bradford County School District office will host third grade, and the Santa Fe College Stump Building will host fifth grade, according to a press release.

Graham said trying to locate alternative schools proved to be a challenge.

“We had to start the process all over again,” he said. “We tried to keep grades together and keep kids in original classes.”

Graham said coordinating extra food service and bus routes at the alternative schools were additional issues administrators had to overcome.

Starke Mayor Travis Woods said that the decision to close the school was a responsible one.

“Any time the children’s health and welfare is at stake, we have to take steps to take care of it,” he said. “Not only was it the responsible decision, I think it was the right decision.”

Graham agreed that closing the school to err on the side of caution was a difficult decision to make.

“If something were to happen, that would be unacceptable,” he said. “That’s something we’re not willing to compromise.”

While students attend alternative schools, Graham said Starke Elementary School teachers will maintain a flexible schedule.

Graham said he’s unsure of when Starke Elementary will reopen because the process of eradicating mold is lengthy.

“There’s no way to gauge it as of yet,” he said. “The entire school will be checked for air quality…then architects and engineers come in to check cracks in the foundation where moisture could get in. It’s a major process.”

A version of this story ran on page 1 on 8/27/2013 under the headline "First day of school not same mold, same mold in Starke"