Rick Santorum pulls out of Republican presidential candidate race

Rick Santorum withdrew from the race for the Republican presidential nomination Tuesday afternoon.

The move came a day after the former senator brought his 3-year-old daughter, Bella, home from the hospital.

According to news reports, she has a rare genetic condition and contracted pneumonia.

Ryan Garcia, president of UF College Republicans, said he was excited to learn of Santorum’s announcement.

The 21-year-old economics junior said Santorum’s decision to withdraw from the race was right for the party.

The primary has divided the party, Garcia said. He’s ready for Republicans to unite instead of fighting over who will receive the nomination.

UF College Republicans has not endorsed a candidate but will support the official nominee.

The organization’s vice chairwoman, 20-year-old telecommunication and political science junior Katy Melchiorre, said she thinks most former Santorum supporters will now follow candidate Mitt Romney.

Other politicians in the GOP race include Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul.

“It’s time that we all coalesced around one candidate and got ready to take on President Obama,” Garcia said.

Contact Julia Glum at jglum@alligator.org.