The UF College of Nursing is working to give some much-needed warmth to UF Health Shands Hospital patients.

The College of Nursing and the Shands palliative care program are working together to gift knitted shawls to patients living with chronic or life-threatening illnesses.

The Comfort Shawls Project connects volunteers with knitters from the Thelma A. Boltin Senior Activity Center in Gainesville, where seniors will teach them how to craft shawls for patients.

Joan Castleman, one of the project coordinators, said the project connects knitters young and old.

“For the women at Thelma Boltin, this is a real passion for them, and I think they’re excited about working with the nursing students,” Castleman, a clinical associate professor at the College of Nursing, said. “The knitting becomes a wonderful way of learning a new skill, learning about other generations and letting go of some of life’s stressors.”

The Comfort Shawls Project is open to beginners and more advanced knitters. The project has provided more than 30 shawls to palliative care patients since forming the volunteer group last Spring.

Castleman said when the shawls are completed by the volunteers, patients select the shawls they want.

“The students have the opportunity to learn more about palliative care as they work with families in selecting a shawl,” she said.

The college is asking volunteers to use yarn that is both soft and washable. They also ask that volunteers machine wash and dry their shawls to remove any potential allergens.

Volunteers can contact the shawl project organizers to arrange a local pickup for their completed shawls.

Kristin Blanzy, a UF master’s student in public health, said the initiative the college is promoting is beneficial to patients.

“I’m sure it increases their morale and makes their stay more comforting,” said Blanzy, 25. “To know that people are doing something special for you is uplifting and can help them improve their quality of life.”

The College of Nursing welcomes donations of yarn or other financial contributions to the shawl project.