ASO SWAT team wins national competition in Missouri

Members of the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office SWAT team traveled to Fredericktown, Missouri, and placed first in a four-day competition over the weekend.

The team now qualifies to enter the 34th Annual SWAT Round-Up International Competition and Vendor Trade Show, which will take place in Orlando in November.

Competing in the fourth annual Southeast Missouri SWAT Challenge from Thursday through Sunday. The team of seven ASO sergeants and deputies tested their weapons expertise and physical fitness, according to a press release.

The team muscled through five courses including a simulated terrorist attack, a mock rescue mission and an obstacle course, ASO spokesman Art Forgey said.

Sgt. Joe Vangorder, Sgt. Josh Crews, Deputy James Ferguson, Deputy Barrett Boyette, Deputy Chris Drake, Deputy Wes Krames and Deputy Marvin Gunn competed on the team, according to a press release.

The men beat 14 other teams in four of five challenges and took the No. 1 overall spot. 

The teams came from Missouri, Florida and Illinois, Forgey said.

Deputy Krames also beat 11 competitors in the Super SWAT Cop competition and earned second place.

In the Top Shot competition, Sgt. Crews placed third place, and Deputy Gunn placed fourth.  

Forgey said the ASO SWAT team, which consists of more than 20 members, trains with SWAT teams from the Gainesville Police Department and the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office.

“I think it’s a good indication that we have a very high-trained, well-trained SWAT team that is capable of doing about anything,” he said.

@martindvassolo 

mvassolo@alligator.org