UF student senators joined by city commissioners at meeting

The UF Student Senate was joined by Gainesville city commissioners Tuesday to discuss transportation, Gainesville life and student safety.

Instead of meeting in the Senate chambers located in the UF Levin College of Law, 82 senators, five commissioners and mayor Ed Braddy met at UF Hillel. UF Student Body President Cory Yeffet worked with Braddy to bring city government and Senate together. While there is no set date for another joint meeting, he said he would like SG to get involved with the City Commission.

“This is something we haven’t done since 2011. Hopefully, we’llactually see tangible results on this,” Yeffet said.

Braddy said Gainesville’s relationship with the colleges mutually benefit the community in terms of expanding and building up Gainesville.

“We cannot be great city unless our colleges, Santa Fe and UF, are great,”  Braddy said.

UF Student Senate President Joseph Michaels opened the floor for discussion on transportation issues, such as Regional Transit System and towing.

“It’s important that students have a reliable safe means of transportation,”  Michaels said.

City Commissioner for District II Todd Chase said student involvement with RTS is vital because 60 percent of RTS funding comes from student fees pay.

Jesus Gomez, RTS director, said it will add about 16,000 hours of service next year, including more weekend service. Gomez said the increase in RTS availability would probably add a 53-cent increase. He also said RTS is exploring sustainable busses that are less oil dependent and run on alternative fuel, such as compressed natural gas.  

RTS currently has five hybrid-electric busses and plans to add more in the future.

Sen. Jenny Clements brought up the issue of towing such as increased fees and hard-to-find towing signs.

Commissioner Chase said measures will be taken if towing signs are not easily visible or have bad marking.

“Our biggest thing is to hold the company’s accountable to a higher standard,” he said.

Michaels moved the discussion to living in Gainesville after graduation.  

Sen. Elvin Lopez addressed to the commissioners leasing issues for students taking classes during Summer. Some leases end at the same time exams are taking place, and sometimes students need to find other living arrangements while dealing with the stress of exams, he said.

Commissioner Helen Warren said because the apartment complexes are part of the free market, it’s difficult for the city to take action.

Michaels shifted the forum to student safety. Gainesville Chief of Police Tony Jones answered questions about how GPD works with UF to create a safe environment for students.

Braddy left the meeting with a small piece of advice for senators:

“Take ownership of the city. You have a stake in the future of this city.”