First day of early voting sees more than 3,500 votes

Voting.jpg
Voting.jpg

More than 3,500 people cast their ballots Monday on the first day of early voting in Alachua County.

The Millhopper Branch Library had the most voters, with 1,327 people registered, said Pam Carpenter, the county’s Supervisor of Elections, citing preliminary early voting numbers. At the two other early voting locations, the Supervisor of Elections Office and the Tower Road Branch Library, 1,067 and 1,159 voters registered, respectively.

No voting errors were reported anywhere in the county, she said.

In an average presidential election, Carpenter said voter turnout is usually between 70 and 80 percent.

This year, during an especially polarizing presidential election, she’s expecting it to be closer to 80 percent, she said.

“It’s looking like a really busy day right now,” she said. “We’re really excited.”

At the Millhopper Branch Library, cars were backed up on Northwest 43rd Street as voters waited to park.

At about 3 p.m., Rosa Martin left the elections office after voting. At 72 years old, she said she’s voted in every general election since she was 21. To her, voting is her civic duty.

That’s why on Election Day, she’ll be helping others vote as a poll worker.

“A lot of people fought a long time for these rights,” she said.

On Monday afternoon, UF College Democrats and For Florida’s Future shuttled students from UF’s campus to the elections office to vote, a program that will last for the next two weeks. The groups picked up students from the parking lot near Anderson Hall and Little Hall, respectively.

UF College Democrats’ shuttles will operate between 10:30 a.m. and about 4 p.m., while For Florida’s Future run from 12:30 to 3 p.m., said Erin Jensen, the For Florida’s Future press assistant. Students can register for the program online or in person, she said.

As students and residents voted inside, Joseph Fluriach, 26, stood outside the elections office reminding voters of the importance of local politics.

“Don’t be discouraged at the national level,” said Fluriach, who was campaigning for Florida Rep. Keith Perry. “Your local representatives, more than anything, need you to come out and vote.”