• November 28, 2014

Lake Butler man dies, three others injured in I-75 accident

Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 11:32 pm

A Lake Butler man died and three people were injured early Tuesday after a semitruck crashed into a pickup on Interstate 75.

At about 1:45 a.m., Ronald W. Sapp, 33, was driving south in a pickup truck in the center lane of I-75 near Archer Road, according to a Florida Highway Patrol media release.

The pickup truck moved into the right lane in front of a semitruck then abruptly stopped, causing the semitruck to crash into its back. After the crash, both vehicles ran off of the road, according to the report.

The pickup overturned and ended up facing west on its left side. The semi skidded along the shoulder until it crashed into a group of trees, facing south.

Authorities pronounced Sapp dead on the scene at about 2 a.m., according to the report.

Two passengers were inside the pickup with Sapp. Kristopher Doski, 29, of Ormond Beach, and Michael P. Hammer, 52, of Lake City, were taken to UF Health Shands with serious injuries.

The passengers were not wearing seatbelts, according to the report.

James A. Gloss, a 62-year-old Longwood resident, was driving the semitruck. He was taken to UF Health Shands with serious injuries.

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 2/19/2014 under the headline "Man dies, three others injured in Tuesday morning I-75 accident"]

• ARTICLE: Police find 2.7 pounds of meth in trunk of car on I-75
  • ARTICLE: Stopped in traffic, man charged with trafficking
  • Welcome to the discussion.