Innovation Hub’s newest tenant, MindTree Limited, announced Tuesday it will bring 400 jobs to Gainesville. About 70 percent of those jobs will be filled by city residents, and recruiters have their sights set on UF students and alumni.

MindTree Limited, an information technology company based in India, announced it will bring its U.S. development center to Innovation Hub at 720 SW Second Ave. to help Gainesville’s economy grow.

“We will do our part to make it the Silicon Valley of the Southeast,” said Scott Staples, co-founder of MindTree Limited.

City and university officials said they are excited the company is coming to Gainesville.

“We have been wanting to start our economy with a company like this,” said UF President Bernie Machen.

He said UF will do everything it can to help MindTree transition easily to Gainesville.

Part of the transition, he said, is helping students connect with the company to earn internships and jobs.

Cammy Abernathy, dean of the College of Engineering, said a company like this offers internships, possible career paths and inspiration to continue in the field.

“This will recruit more computer science and computer engineering majors, and those are the majors in demand,” she said.

She said Gainesville has a “brain drain” problem, which is the loss of talented college graduates when they move out of their home state or country.

“Engineering is in demand,” she said. “And this will help put a stop to the brain drain in Florida.”

Staples said the city’s innovative spirit and the number of qualified applicants make Gainesville an attractive place to set up shop.

He said Gainesville was the best fit for MindTree’s obsession with innovation and integrity.

“This has to be a success,” Staples said, “because our clients want it.”

Mayor Craig Lowe said MindTree’s presence is critical to Gainesville’s growth.

“Citizens here in Gainesville have long dreamed of development,” he said.

Contact Ben Brasch at bbrasch@alligator.org.