The FDA approval — or lack thereof — of a controversial new alcohol product is stirring up Gainesville.

Palcohol is a shot-sized package of powdered alcohol — just add water.

According to the Palcohol website, the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau approved the product.

However, the hype of the unusual alcohol concept was shot down Monday when a representative for the federal bureau said the approvals were issued in error, USA Today reported.

Lipsmark, the privately held company that owns Palcohol, responded by saying the disapproval of labels does not mean disapproval of the product. The company will resubmit the labels and does not currently have an expected approval date.

“The very nature of the product facilitates potential for its misuse, which could increase the risk of alcohol overdose and negative consequences associated with high-risk alcohol consumption,” wrote Julia Rae Varnes, a specialist at GatorWell Health Promotion Services, in an email.

Beth Desimone, a 25-year-old UF sports management junior, has been a bartender at :08 for almost three years.

“I think it’s a bad idea,” she said. “I think that they’re going to bring it with them inside of the bar instead of paying for drinks.”

She said if Palcohol becomes a fad, UF might even need to step up its security on gamedays.

Sneaking in a packet of Palcohol into the Swamp and mixing it with water could go against policies listed on the the University Athletic Association’s website.

“They’re going to have to do extra security checks where they’re checking everybody’s pockets and purses,” Desimone said.

[A version of this story ran on page 13 on 4/23/2014 under the headline "‘Palcohol’ draws reaction"]