Locals gather to test bat trivia, raise money for conservation

Jonathan Freedman wore a Batman shirt to moderate trivia.

"What is the typical number of pups a female bat has in a year?" he asked.

The teams — including Team "Batalicious" and "The Salty Bats" — frantically scribbled their answers on pieces of paper.

It was part of Bat Trivia at First Magnitude Brewing Company on Tuesday night, an event hosted by Brainaholics Trivia and the Lubee Bat Conservancy.

The Bat Trivia event was implemented to educate the Gainesville community about bats and raise funds for the conservancy’s breeding programs, research, education and the 11th Annual Florida Bat Festival, which will take place Oct. 24.

With more than 50 people in attendance, each team was made up of two to 10 participants. All six rounds, consisting of 10 questions each, had something to do with bats nested within the theme of geography, sports, art, literature, pop culture and general knowledge. The top three finishers received First Magnitude gift certificates, and additional prizes were awarded courtesy of the conservancy.

Lubee staff sold merchandise and collected more than $100 in donations during the night.

"I love bats," said Gavin Wright, 34, who competed with the Salty Bats.

First Magnitude co-founder Christine Denny, who is also an environmental scientist and often works with bat biologists, said she was excited to partner with the conservancy.

"Since we’re all about Florida and the natural environment, Lubee is a nice connection with us," Denny said.

Brian Pope, the director of the conservancy for four and a half years, said he knows how much bats contribute to the economy.

"(Trivia is) an opportunity for us to talk about our festival, to talk about bats, to talk about our mission," he said.