Alachua County Fair in town until Sat

<p class="p1">Emily Padot, 18, tries her hand at the Alachua County Fair’s Ring &amp; Goldfish Toss. The Alachua County Fair is being held at the Alachua County Fairgrounds at  3100 NE 39th Ave. and will continue to run until Saturday.</p>

Emily Padot, 18, tries her hand at the Alachua County Fair’s Ring & Goldfish Toss. The Alachua County Fair is being held at the Alachua County Fairgrounds at  3100 NE 39th Ave. and will continue to run until Saturday.

The Alachua County Fair is ending its 43rd year Saturday before closing its gates until next October.

All students, regardless of age, will be admitted for free today until 5 p.m. Anyone who enters the Alachua County Fairgrounds after 9 p.m. must pay $20 for a Midnight Madness wristband, which covers admission and unlimited rides. 

There are more than 40 rides to choose from, said marketing coordinator Miriam White, and many are suitable for children. 

“This is a very family-friendly fair, so everything we offer is kid-friendly,” White said. “We try to have as much as we can for the little ones.”

Visitors can watch an alligator show, eat elephant ears, stargaze on the Ferris wheel and dance to live music. There will be a beauty pageant Saturday at 3 p.m. 

The fair will be stocked with carnival food — corn dogs, cotton candy, candy apples and funnel cakes. 

“All the fried stuff,” White said.

Tickets are $5 for those older than 12, $2 for those ages 6 to 12 and free for those 5 and under.

Gates open today at 2 p.m. and close at 1 a.m., and on Saturday — the last day — they open at 2 p.m. and close around 10 p.m.