The Hyppo ice pops to cool down Swamp on gameday

<p class="p1"><span class="s1">Nicole Giaquinto, a 20-year-old UF public relations sophomore, displays a chocolate-covered ice pop at The Hyppo Gourmet Ice Pops on Monday evening. The Hyppo opened its doors for the first time this weekend.&nbsp;</span></p>

Nicole Giaquinto, a 20-year-old UF public relations sophomore, displays a chocolate-covered ice pop at The Hyppo Gourmet Ice Pops on Monday evening. The Hyppo opened its doors for the first time this weekend. 

The Hyppo, a St. Augustine-based frozen treat eatery, is expanding beyond its downtown Gainesville location within the next two months. New locations are set to open in Roberts’ Stadium Club on University Avenue and on Butler Plaza between McAlister’s Deli and CiCi’s Pizza.  There will also be carts spread throughout Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on gamedays.

“There’s a lot of momentum to move out and beyond in the retail sector,” said general manager Brent Smith.

Four UF locations—the Hub’s P.O.D. Market, Graham Oasis, Little Hall Express and Rawlings Plaza—began selling The Hyppo’s ice pops in December.

Abby Doupnik, a UF journalism junior and employee at the downtown location of The Hyppo, attributed the business’ popularity to the unusual idea of an ice pop store.

“They’re a novelty item,” Doupnik, 20, said. “The fact that Gainesville has a popsicle store but not every other city does is kind of a cool thing.”

Savannah Collins, 19, picked out a coconut and chocolate flavored ice pop at the downtown location. 

“I’ve never seen a popsicle store before. Who has?” said Collins, a UF art history and visual art studies sophomore. “They’re high quality. You can tell a lot went into this popsicle.”

[A version of this story ran on page 9 on 8/26/2014 under the headline "Gourmet ice pops to cool down Swamp on gameday"]