Fast-paced event to promote ideas

Deriving its name from the Japanese term for the sound of “chitchat,” PechaKucha Night is back again for a second gathering.

The creative evening will take place Friday at Volta Coffee, Tea and Chocolate, 48 SW Second St., from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. The event will bring together Gainesville artists and locals for a night of exhibition and conversation.

The event is free and open to anyone with a creative idea to offer. There are nine presenters that will display their work in a simple format: 20 images with 20 seconds each to elaborate on each picture.

The PechaKucha concept was created to keep presentations short, consistent and fast-paced.

Daniela Gorny, Volta employee and event organizer, said the first PechaKucha event over the summer was a big success but hopes that Friday’s event will be even better because more students are in Gainesville during the fall semester.

Presentations vary in subject, from photography to blogging to urban planning.

UF graduate Laura Ettedgui will be one of the presenters for Friday’s PechaKucha. Her presentation is about the Solar Decathlon Europe competition in Spain, in which UF students constructed a solar-powered house.

According to the PechaKucha website, great presentations are those that uncover the unexpected. “Some are incredibly personal, some are incredibly funny, but all are very different making each PechaKucha Night like ‘a box of chocolates,’”the website said.

Gorny said people are enthusiastic and have been submitting their work for upcoming PechaKucha gatherings.