Gainesville police searching for man who raped woman in woods

<p>This is a composite sketch of the man police are looking for who was reported to have sexually battered a woman.</p>

This is a composite sketch of the man police are looking for who was reported to have sexually battered a woman.

Gainesville Police are still looking for a man who raped a woman and left her in the woods Wednesday night.

After a struggle, the man bound and battered the women in woods of the 3900 block of Southwest 24th Avenue, said officer Ben Tobias, acting GPD spokesman.

The woman went to the woods to clear her head after an argument with her boyfriend.

While in the woods, two men came up to her.

One of the men left quickly, the other stayed, identified himself as a police officer, and told her that she was trespassing, Tobias said.

When she didn’t believe the man was an officer and he didn’t show any identification, they fought and he zip-tied her fingers together, Tobias said.

The man raped her and left her in a clearing of the woods by an abandoned house.

Tobias said she walked back to her apartment and called police at 4 a.m.

She is still in the hospital with facial injuries.

Police are still looking for the man. He is described as a slim, white man who is about 6 feet tall with brown hair and a mullet haircut.

Anyone who has information about the crime should call the GPD Criminal Investigations Bureau at 352-393-7604.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.