Police union members thank senator for opposing jail privatization

<p>Jeff McAdams, president of the Alachua County Fraternal Order of Police lodge, thanks Sen. Steve Oelrich on Tuesday for opposing a state bill that would privatize Florida prisons.</p>

Jeff McAdams, president of the Alachua County Fraternal Order of Police lodge, thanks Sen. Steve Oelrich on Tuesday for opposing a state bill that would privatize Florida prisons.

Seven people went to Sen. Steve Oelrich's office on Tuesday to thank him for opposing a state bill that would privatize jails across the state.

Oelrich announced his opposition Feb. 1 for a bill that would privatize prisons in Florida, which supporters said would take jobs out of town and give local jobs to corporations.

The supporters, which included four activists and three police union members, said Oelrich's support showed them that unions have a voice in Florida legislation.

Oelrich is in Tallahassee for the legislative session. The supporters thanked his staff with a bouquet of orange roses and white and purple flowers wrapped in purple ribbon.

The Corrections Corporation of America would manage Florida's jails if the bill is approved. State Bill 2038, the piece of legislation, was introduced to the Senate on Jan. 20.

The company says it can save taxpayers between $16 million and $45 million, said Jeff McAdams, president of the Alachua County Fraternal Order of Police lodge, Gator Lodge No. 67.

"I have never heard of something so frightening and absurd," McAdams said. He has been with the Gainesville Police Department for 19 years. "There are more efficient ways to use taxpayer money."

Activist Dave Schneider said unions keep jobs in town, and the current governor doesn't understand that,

"Prison privatization puts any community at risk," he said. "Once they privatize prison, schools are next."

Others are more concerned about public safety.

"This bill does nothing to protect our citizens," McAdams said.

Under the bill, if there was ever a prisoner breakout, the Corrections Corporation of America would be responsible to pay for the first 48 hours of apprehension. But after that, it would be the taxpayer's responsibility, he said.

The senator received 2,000 emails in the past week supporting his fight against the privatization of jails in Florida, said Tonya Shays, a legislative assistant in Oelrich's office.

"The elected officials need to remember who elects and un-elects them," McAdams said.