The thrill of racing only an inch above the ground and the drive of the competition lured GatorMoto owner Justin Jackrel into go-kart racing and building.

Now he’s found a way for people who are unable to use their legs to experience the same rush.

GatorMoto, a Gainesville go-kart manufacturer, began in early January to commercially produce a go-kart that uses hand controls instead of pedals. It is hosting a competition to give one of the karts away.

The competition lasts until April 30, and people can enter or be nominated if they are at least 13 years old, Jackrel said.

He said contestants can apply by submitting information about their disability and about how they have given back to the community.

“We’re looking for someone that’s made a difference, that hasn’t taken the hand that they’ve been dealt and have moped on the couch for the past 20 years,” Jackrel said.

Before GatorMoto became the nation’s first company to commercially produce the hands-only karts, each kart had to be modified and cost between $4,000 and $5,000. Now, customers can buy one for $1,399 at GatorMoto, he said.

The driver controls the kart’s gas and brake by pulling back on handles attached to the steering wheel, Jackrel said.

With these go-karts, people unable to use their legs can compete in the same competitions as other drivers, he said.

“People with disabilities don’t want to race in their own league,” Jackrel said. “They want to be part of the ‘normal people.’”

Mike Clements, owner of Clements Enterprises and four-time International Kart Federation Grand National Champion, likes the new go-kart.

He has seen many injured drivers who were unable to continue racing and likes that GatorMoto’s go-kart will help them race again.

Clements plans on entering his brother’s friend, Jeff Miller, into the competition.

Miller once raced with the World Karting Association, but a highway accident left him unable to feel his legs. 

“It would brighten his day up to put him in a go-kart and get him going again,” Clements said.

To enter the competition, send contact information and the driver’s story to GatorMoto Attn: Kart Giveaway, 7065 NW 22nd St. Suite A, Gainesville, FL, 32653.