Gainesville-famous pizza joint ranked ‘Try before you die’

<p class="p1">Henry and Kim Hines went to Satchel’s Pizza for their first time Wednesday afternoon. The couple said they weren’t surprised at the restaurant’s high ranking on the list.</p>

Henry and Kim Hines went to Satchel’s Pizza for their first time Wednesday afternoon. The couple said they weren’t surprised at the restaurant’s high ranking on the list.

When Satchel’s Pizza placed sixth in Kristin Chirico’s BuzzFeed article, “18 Pizza Joints You Must Try Before You Die,” it wasn’t a surprise to Gainesville residents.

Satchel’s, which has been tossing out slices of its now BuzzFeed-famous pizza for 11 years, has been considered a “Gainesville institution” since its doors  first opened. 

Satchel Raye, founder of Satchel’s Pizza, said he first heard about the BuzzFeed article through a casual text message conversation with a manager.

The pizza aficionado said Satchel’s stands out from the crowd because of its visually stimulating atmosphere. 

The restaurant is decorated with quirky pieces of art and a vintage Volkswagen van that seats customers.

“I feel like all the other stuff is what makes us different,” he said. “The pizza is what people love.”

Jordan Borstelmann, a bartender at Satchel’s, said the best pizza he’s ever had has been at the restaurant.

He said the style and the attitude of the employees creates a great environment for customers to enjoy.

“People really feel comfortable,” he said. “They feel like they’re at home when they come here.”

Niko Cousins, a 20-year-old business management junior at St. Leo University, brought his girlfriend, 18-year-old St. Leo University marketing freshman Alyssa Mercadante, to Satchel’s for her first time on Wednesday.

“It’s something that people don’t really find everywhere, and I think that’s what people are looking for, something different,” Mercadante said.

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 7/24/2014 under the headline "Gainesville-famous pizza joint ranked ‘Try before you die’"]