Gov. Rick Scott announces oil spill damage recovery plans

Four years after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill plagued the Gulf of Mexico, the third and largest phase of gulf restoration projects was announced — almost 70 percent of which Florida will head.

Gov. Rick Scott announced the state’s $105 million pledge to plan last week, which involves five states and was drafted by the Deepwater Horizon oil spill’s natural resource damage assessment trustees.

Florida is heading 30 of 44 total projects, along with Texas, Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi.

About $88 million is designated for 28 projects throughout communities along the Florida Panhandle, according to Ashley Williams, Florida Department of Environmental Protection spokeswoman. Another $15 million will go toward two projects near the Gulf Islands in Escambia County.

“When the Horizon blew in the Gulf of Mexico, it was a major catastrophic loss for Escambia County,” said Gene Valentino, an Escambia County commissioner.

He said the $15 million designated to his region “is but a sliver of what is needed to resolve the damages in our county.”

These restoration projects include scallop enhancement, sea grass recovery, artificial reefs and fish hatcheries, Williams said. But the majority of Florida funding is going to recreational projects like protecting the dunes and boat ramps.

“Florida’s biggest known injury to date is lost recreational use, so that’s why they’re more heavily focused on that at this point,” Williams said.

The department expects to receive BP funding within the next couple of weeks and begin implementing projects in about 105 days.

UF business administration senior Katherine Salz said restoration projects should receive more funding.

“We don’t know how much damage has been done and how much is irreversible,” said Salz, 21. “Ultimately, it’s most important that wildlife is preserved.”