Drunk residents’ relished burgers top national list

<p>Relish employees cook burgers for customers Monday evening. The restaurant has been named by Thrillist.com as the best place to eat while intoxicated in Gainesville.</p>

Relish employees cook burgers for customers Monday evening. The restaurant has been named by Thrillist.com as the best place to eat while intoxicated in Gainesville.

An article by Thrillist.com recently honored popular drunk eateries at the top party schools in the nation, and Gainesville’s Relish made the cut.

Relish was chosen as the best intoxicated eatery at UF, but runners-up included Five Star Pizza and Larry’s Giant Subs.

Other listed favorites include the Grill at the University of Georgia, New York Roma Pizza at the University of Miami and Guthrie’s at Florida State University.

Zack Henrikson, shift leader at the downtown Relish location and a 20-year-old Santa Fe College English sophomore, said he agreed with the decision.

“I think that the Midtown location is really good for drunk people because it’s so close to all the bars, and it’s right across the street from campus,” he said.

Henrikson said that on popular going-out nights like Thursday, Friday and Saturday, the restaurant has to “funnel people in.”

“In the downtown location, we’re the only place that’s still open, so everybody just comes and gets a burger,” he said.

However, even with the multitude of choices for late-night eats, Henrikson said he thinks burgers will always come out on top.

“It’s so filling,” he said. “It feels good in your stomach.”

Manuela Burtscher, a 21-year-old UF business administration junior, said she agreed.

“It’s juicy, and it tastes very, very good when you’re intoxicated,” she said.

Burtscher said the topping options seal the deal for many patrons. Her favorite is the fried egg.

The popularity of Relish was echoed by the Thrillist article, which called Relish “one of Gainesville’s top pick-up spots… seriously” and “hands-down the most fun line in town,” especially when “your friends start passing out left and right because of the wait — so be ready to abandon them to get your burger.”

But not all UF students agree. Will Baldock, a 21-year-old microbiology senior, said he prefers other spots for his post-Midtown meals.

Baldock said he sees more patrons at Taco Bell and Steak ‘n Shake, his personal favorite.

“It’s not as much food,” he said. “With the Relish burgers, it’s a lot of food, and I want substance but not a ton of food after I’ve gone out to Midtown.”

A version of this story ran on page 1 on 10/23/2013 under the headline "Drunk residents’ relished burgers top national list"