Jimmy John’s credit card breach affects Gainesville stores

<p>The Jimmy John's on University Avenue experienced a line that stretched far past its entrance Thursday for Customer Appreciation Day.&nbsp;</p>

The Jimmy John's on University Avenue experienced a line that stretched far past its entrance Thursday for Customer Appreciation Day. 

Both local Jimmy John’s locations were involved in a franchise-wide data breach announced this week.

Customers who swiped debit or credit cards at either the University Avenue or Archer Road location recently are encouraged to monitor their bank accounts, according to a company release. Purchases made online or entered manually are not at risk.

The sandwich company suspects someone stole log-in credentials to access customers’ payment information, according to the release. About 216 stores were affected.

After learning of the breach on July 30, Jimmy John’s hired third-party forensic experts to help with the investigation, the release stated.

The breach has been contained, and customers can safely make in-store purchases on newly encrypted credit machines, according to the release.

The chain is looking into its third-party vendor policies and offering identity protection services for customers who were affected.

Stacy Mills, 21, said she had about $600 taken out of her account this week, but hadn’t confirmed with her bank if it was related to the breach.

The biology senior said she’s going to start using more cash for her purchases.

"I definitely want to limit the number of times someone can steal my credit card information," she said.