New restaurant to bring southern food and on-tap beer and whiskey bar

The owners of Gainesville’s newest restaurant and bar said they aim to bring a big-city vibe and a happier happy hour to locals.

O.A.K., which stands for Original American Kitchen, will feature gourmet southern comfort foods like shrimp and grits and bison burgers, as well as vegetarian and vegan options.

Ryan Prodesky, vice president of marketing for the 101 Management Group, which manages the restaurant, said O.A.K. will serve locally sourced, organic and GMO-free ingredients.

The restaurant will be replacing Ichiban Sushi, at 15 SE First Ave., and plans to open mid-March for lunch, dinner and happy hour. After 10 p.m., O.A.K. will allow only those who are 21 or older.

The bar will also feature 18 self-serve taps with 14 choices of craft beers and four whiskeys, Prodesky said.

Customers can purchase a full beverage by loading a card from the restaurant with a certain dollar amount and inserting it into the reader. The tap machines dispense up to 32 ounces at a time.

Prodesky said he plans to work with student organizations and graduate school organizations as well as young professionals in the Gainesville area to host events like whiskey-tasting classes, paint-your-own-beer-glass night, food-and-whiskey pairing classes and live music.

“We really want people to come in and just enjoy a social setting, reconnect with friends, grab a good meal and some good beers,” Prodesky said.

Danielle Berry, area manager of O.A.K., said the bar will have board games, a life-size Scrabble game and a shuffleboard table.

“We are very excited to be doing this project in downtown,” Prodesky said. “I think downtown has a ton to offer, and, hopefully, this is a catalyst to really give downtown an entertainment feel and attract people down here.”

[A version of this story ran on page 3 on 3/8/2015 under the headline “New restaurant to bring southern food and whiskey bar”]