Living History Farm to celebrate 40th anniversary

<p>Alachua County children play with farm animals at Morningside Nature Center at the Living History Farm. The farm recreates a single-family farm from the 1870s including live heritage-breed farm animals.</p>

Alachua County children play with farm animals at Morningside Nature Center at the Living History Farm. The farm recreates a single-family farm from the 1870s including live heritage-breed farm animals.

The Living History Farm will celebrate its 40th anniversary Saturday in honor of its dedication on Independence Day in 1946.

Morningside Nature Center, located on 3450 E. University Ave., is hosting the event from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The event is free, and guests are welcome to pack their own food. Attendees can also donate to the farm by purchasing ice cream and $2 old-fashioned wagon rides, according to a press release.

Donations will go toward the Friends of Nature Parks, the farm’s support organization, said Bricky Way, the recreation leader and farm manager.

Several activities, such as tractor-pull hayrides, horseshoe throwing, patriotic pinwheel making and more, will take place during the event, according to the press release.

Tithi Amin, a 21-year-old UF nutrition junior, visited the Morningside Nature Center nine years ago with her eighth grade class, and she said she remembers the day as if it were yesterday.

“Walking into the house felt like traveling back in time,” Amin said.

The farm is used for historic education for the community, Way said. It’s a place where people can experience what life was like before electricity and cell phones.

“We’d be more than happy for people to come out and enjoy a nice low-tech morning,” Way said. “Help us celebrate and have some fun on Saturday.”