$5 CPR and AED training Saturday to promote safety

When Claire Dunlap went into cardiac arrest after a softball game in high school, she needed the shock of an automated external defibrillator, or AED, to save her life.

The GatorSavers president is collaborating with GatorCPR and the university to host a class teaching CPR and how to use automated external defibrillators, or AEDs, on Saturday in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom.

The event costs $5.

Dunlap, a UF advertising senior, said the event is the organization’s largest class of the year. The goal is to certify 600 people in CPR with AED training.

“Telling my story, people realize that cardiac arrest can happen to anyone at any time,” the 21-year-old wrote in an email. “It is so important for everyone to know CPR and how to use an AED just in case something like this ever happened.”

Dunlap said the organization travels to local schools and teaches students the importance of being trained in life-saving techniques such as CPR.

She is working with GatorCPR to broaden the reach of CPR instruction.

Clay Gibbons, a co-owner of GatorCPR, said the charge covers the cost of the certification and the UF facilities rental.

He said the organization teaches free classes across Florida. Although the class is geared toward UF students, Gibbons said he hopes the event draws people from across Gainesville.

“When you have that volume of people for that little cost,” Gibbons said, “you can really make a difference.”

There are three sessions: 9:30 to 11:30 a.m., noon to 2 p.m. and 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Students can register in advance at gatorsavers.org or at the event.