Fall-colored pets cheaper this month from Alachua County Animal Services

In lieu of vibrant leaf colors, Gainesville residents can embrace fall colors with the “Fall in Love with a Shelter Animal” offer from Alachua County Animal Services.

Until the end of November, all cats and dogs with autumn colors — red, gold, brown or orange — in their coats are up for adoption at reduced prices.

Cats are available for $10, and dogs are available for $15. All animals are examined, vaccinated and spayed or neutered before adoption.

Jane Grantman, the Alachua County shelter supervisor, said the shelter tries to come up with fun ways to get the word out and encourage people to adopt.

“We’re trying to find creative ways for people to think of us when they think of adoption,” she said.

About half of the animals at the shelter now are fall-colored, Grantman said. She said she hopes the offer will give people incentive to consider the shelter for pets.

Lindsey Eldridge, a 20-year-old UF exercise physiology junior, called the special “absolutely adorable.”

“I think taking some of the financial burden out of the equation would get a lot more people to adopt,” she said.

A version of this story ran on page 4 on 11/12/2013 under the headline "Fall-colored pets cheaper this month"