A new organic market will open west of 13th Street next semester, featuring fresh meat, local produce and a juice bar.

Lucky’s Market will open at 1409 NW 23rd Ave. this January in Verde Plaza, said Ben Friedland, vice president of marketing for Lucky’s.

“We offer the highest-quality products at the lowest price,” he said. “But at the same time we also offer conventional items you find in your typical grocery store. Lucky’s is a one-stop shop.”

The 28,000-square-foot organic-food market will offer pre-prepared meals, fresh-baked pizza, in-house smoked bacon and “never ever” meats — meats that are never treated with antibiotics or growth hormones, Friedland said.

“Ninety percent of the items we carry are natural and organic,” he said.

The Gainesville location will be the Colorado-based grocery store’s first Florida store, and Friedland said Gainesville was picked for its vibrant community and variety of cuisines.

The new store will be added competition for Ward’s Supermarket, a family-owned and locally-operated grocery store located two minutes away.

“I think the advantage we have is we’ve been local for 63 years,” owner Trish Ward said. “We’re truly the only locally owned supermarket in Gainesville.”

Jen Speedy, a 21-year-old UF dietetics senior, said she researched Lucky’s after she heard it was coming to town.

“Colorado is such a health-conscious state as it is,” Speedy said. “Just to know that’s finally coming this way is incredible.”

Speedy, who juices regularly, said she’s excited for Lucky’s to open because it can be difficult for students to eat healthy on small budgets.

[A version of this story ran on page 3 on 9/18/2014 under the headline "Organic market to open in January"]