<p>Captain Brian Helmerson of the Gainesville Police Department moves Thursday evening to separate protesters on the site of a monument on the corner of West University Avenue and North Main Street dedicated to fallen Confederate soldiers. One group called for the removal of the monument while the other called for the monument to stay.</p>

Captain Brian Helmerson of the Gainesville Police Department moves Thursday evening to separate protesters on the site of a monument on the corner of West University Avenue and North Main Street dedicated to fallen Confederate soldiers. One group called for the removal of the monument while the other called for the monument to stay.

Based on the Confederate statue on the corner of Main Street and East University Avenue on Thursday, a crowd of protesters held signs that read, “End white supremacy” and “Tear it down.”

On the other side, counter-protesters waved the southern battle flag — a recent center of national debate.

The topic sprung as a result of an organized protest to relocate the 111-year-old Confederate monument that stands in front of the government-owned Alachua County Administration Building, located at 12 SE First St.

“It should not be on government property. It could go into a museum. It can go into private property,” said Gwendolyn Simmons, a UF assistant professor of religion. “I don’t want to see it destroyed, but it should not be on government property that represents all the people.”

The rally drew about 100 people with conflicting views, prompting heated debate while remaining peaceful under the watch of the Gainesville Police Department.

“Hey, hey! Ho, ho! These racist whites have got to go,” chanted the group supporting the relocation.

Non-supporters believe the monument doesn’t represent racism but instead pays honor to the fallen Civil War soldiers for their bravery.

“It’s not about slavery or states’ rights or any of that stuff; it’s for the average person who picked up and left his farm and went off to war,” said 20-year veteran James Shillinglaw, the northeast Florida heritage defense coordinator. “Today we can argue about the war, but you can’t argue about the bravery of these people.”

Meanwhile, Faye Williams, who organized the event, thinks her request is reasonable. The organizers’ plan is to move the statue off government property and into Matheson Museum, which was built on the grounds where the Battle of Gainesville was fought in August 1864. 

While Williams hopes the costs of moving can be covered with donations from local businesses, some worry facilitating the relocation won’t be as easy as it seems.

Micah Hedgecock said the piece of history should stay in its place.

“This is a historical marker,” he said, “and if for no other reason, it should remain as a reminder of the progress that has been made as a society.”

One of the statue’s inscription reads, “They fell for us, and for them should fall the tears of a nation’s grief.”

“I think it’s very important to ask who that ‘us’ is,” said Jesse Arost, co-organizer of the event.