Tuesday, March 19, 2024
101 Cantina
101 Cantina

As 101 Cantina faces eviction, a faux memorial will be held Friday to commemorate the Midtown restaurant and bar.

The Lubavitch-Chabad Jewish Student and Community Center, located at 2021 NW Fifth Ave., will host the Mexican-themed dinner as part of its free weekly Shabbat meals. It will begin at 7:30 p.m.

Chanie Goldman, a codirector of the center, said the memorial dinner was just a joke. On Fridays, the center’s biggest competition for students’ time is Midtown.

“It’s not a memorial service to Cantina,” Goldman said. “But you can’t get Mexican (anymore), so come to Chabad. There’s nothing for you in Midtown.”

Fara Moskowitz, a 20-year-old UF junior, said there are rumors every year about 101 Cantina closing, so Chabad may be making fun of the restaurant’s situation to draw more students to its dinner.

“It’s just a funny way to convince people to not go to Midtown and go to Shabbat instead,” the UF family, youth and community sciences student said.

Shane McKenna, a UF alumnus, said he thought it was funny Chabad was giving 101 Cantina a “parody” memorial.

With all of the money he spent at the bar as a student, McKenna said he found it surprising that, according to court documents, the restaurant faces charges for unpaid rent, late charges, court costs and attorney fees. In court documents, Trimark claims that 101 Cantina's monthly lease is up, while the owners say they have a year left and Trimark has stopped accepting lease payment. 

The costs for damages that 101 Cantina owes after potentially vacating, however, didn’t come as much of a shock, he said.

“Is any of the damage being charged for what they did to my liver?” he said.

@Jawosmond

josmond@alligator.org