missing child

Authorities are looking for Laurie Balthazar, who is described as being 5’3 and weighing 130 pounds. She went missing after she was last seen near the 5000 block of Northwest 27th Avenue, according to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. She’s described as a black female with black hair and brown eyes.

Courtesy to The Alligator / Florida Department of Law Enforcement

Update 7:25 p.m. Tuesday: Laurie Balthazar has been found.

Authorities are looking for a missing 16-year-old girl who was last seen March 7 in Gainesville.

Laurie Balthazar, who is described as being 5 feet 3 inches and weighing 130 pounds, was last seen near the 5000 block of Northwest 27th Avenue, according to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. She is described as a black female with black hair and brown eyes.

Alachua County Sheriff’s office spokesperson Sgt. Brett Rhodenizer said they believe she may be in the Southwest part of Alachua County and Gainesville. Rhodenizer said the area she was last seen is near Buchholz High School, where she is a student. 

Rhodenizer said the Sheriff's office received information that led to reclassifying her from a runaway to an endangered child, but he did not say what the information was. In conjunction with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, a missing child alert was issued.

Laurie was last seen wearing wearing a lavender halter top sweater, green leggings and a tan floral scarf. Officials are asking anyone with information to contact the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office at 352-955-1818, or directly calling 911.