The UF Board of Trustees proposed a 10-year development plan to the Florida Legislature in hopes of receiving a $100 million grant.

Thursday afternoon, the Board held a joint meeting with the committees on strategic initiatives and external relations to discuss the progress of the plan, which is designed to focus on expanding UF’s campus through increased student housing and bringing business opportunities for graduate students.

Phase one of the strategic development plan involves fact-finding, which is where metrics come in, said Charles E. Lane, the UF senior vice president and chief operating officer.

With metrics, the board can evaluate where UF needs to improve and what they can expand, Provost Joe Glover said.

Metric rankings show the Board of Trustees how UF is doing by using data points for progress, said Janine Sikes, UF spokeswoman.

The master plan will take about 10 years and will focus on the campus and its effect on the community, said Lane, who announced the plan’s update.

The plan is focused on UF’s relationship to Gainesville and how it compares to other college towns in regards to housing and transportation, Lane said.

“The campus isn’t static,” Lane said. “It’s dynamic.”

UF President Kent Fuchs said the plan allows for the board to think strategically about expansion.

“This lets us think how the city is going to grow with the campus,” Fuchs said.

Editor's Note: A version of this story that ran in Tuesday's paper incorrectly stated the meeting was held on Friday afternoon. It was held on Thursday.