<p>YouthBuild, a Gainesville non-profit, opened its new building, located at 635 NW 6th St. on Saturday. The organization helps young adults earn high school diplomas and receive affordable housing in the community.</p>

YouthBuild, a Gainesville non-profit, opened its new building, located at 635 NW 6th St. on Saturday. The organization helps young adults earn high school diplomas and receive affordable housing in the community.

Project YouthBuild, a Gainesville nonprofit founded in 2009, held a grand opening and open house of its center Saturday.

The nonprofit moved to the Banks-Cosby Youth Empowerment Center, located on 635 NW 6th St., because they ran out of space at their previous location at 408 W. University Ave., Suite 111, said Jonathan Leslie, executive director of Project YouthBuild.

But before it moved, the building underwent an about $320,000 renovation, which was funded by the city of Gainesville, Gainesville Police and Youthbuild, he said.

It took nine months to renovate the 50-year-old building, which is 2,500 square feet. Everything had to be restored, he said.

“We are so honored to have a part in this, to help restore a building and use it for something that helps people,” Leslie said.

Leslie said Project YouthBuild is a nine-month service program for low-income individuals aged 16 to 24 who dropped out of high school. It helps young adults earn a high school diploma and find affordable housing in the community.

Kimesha Mann, a 20-year-old Gainesville resident who graduated from the program in 2017, said she’s working to become a police officer.

Mann said she wanted to play basketball in college, but she tore her ACL in high school. That’s when she dropped out and eventually started working at Wal-Mart.

She heard about YouthBuild, and she was picked to do a physical and emotional training program. She was then picked out of 60 people to continue at YouthBuild.

Mann said the staff continued to encourage her. Now, YouthBuild is paying for her to get her tattoos removed so she can start her career in law enforcement.

“I didn’t feel like they were there for a check, but to help people who had a hard time,” Mann said.