Reggie Malebranche slipped on a pair of navy blue gardening gloves, grabbed a nearby rake and began moving mulch around Wilmot Gardens.

Malebranche, a 19-year-old health education and behavior sophomore, was one of about 180 volunteers who commemorated the legacy of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. by participating in the MLK Day of Service on Monday morning.

"I always believe in giving back," Malebranche said. "Especially on a big holiday like this. I think it's important."

The annual MLK Day of Service is a national day of service that encourages people to spend the day giving back to the community, said Jarrod Cruz, chairman of the MLK Celebration Steering Committee.

Starting at 8:15 a.m., student volunteers from UF and Santa Fe College gathered on the Plaza of the Americas to be assigned to one of 12 service project sites around the UF campus and in the city.

Children's Home Society of Florida, Kids Count in Alachua County and The Salvation Army were among the many service sites, said Rachel Richards, graduate assistant of the Center for Leadership and Service.

From 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., student volunteers participated in a variety of service activities, including picking up trash, sorting through clothes and working on arts and crafts projects with children.

Brandi Roach, a second-year nursing major and a member of SISTUHS Inc., picked up trash along a hiking trail at the UF Natural Area Teaching Laboratory.

"We found all kinds of random stuff. We even found a car window fully intact," she said. "I am happy we came out and cleaned up so it stays nice for anyone who wants to walk on the trail."

After two hours of service, the student volunteers gathered for lunch at the UF Touchdown Terrace at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

Interim Vice President of Student Affairs Dave Kratzer was the keynote speaker for the reflection period. He thanked the volunteers for the time they dedicated in the service projects.

"By being here today, you are not only impacting Gainesville, but also influencing your peers," Kratzer said. "We need to be the school that's leading the way. Thank you for your impact on the community."

Representatives from the 12 groups also spoke to reflect on the projects with which they were involved.

Kaci Ellis, an elementary education freshman, reflected on her group's work for The Salvation Army.

"I was actually really impressed about the work they do for our community," she said.

The Day of Service was an overall success, Richards said.

"I think the event went wonderfully," she said. "It sounds like all the volunteers had a lot of fun at their sites. I think it was a great turnout."