Rolling Thunder holds annual poker run

<p>Members of Rolling Thunder pose for a group photograph outside of the Gainesville Harley-Davidson dealership.</p>

Members of Rolling Thunder pose for a group photograph outside of the Gainesville Harley-Davidson dealership.

At 11:00 a.m. on June 23, 70 motorcycles roared their engines as they exited the parking lot of the Gainesville Harley-Davidson.

The brigade of motorcyclists spent the next five hours riding across 97 miles of North Central Florida in the 83 degree summer weather, stopping at five locations across their journey to collect poker cards, enjoy ice-cold drinks and chat with friends in Rolling Thunder’s annual Poker Run fundraiser.

The event consists of motorcyclists riding to the five locations: Howlin Wolf, Amvets Post 86, Inferno Saloon, Red Dog Saloon and Alachua Sports Pub and Grill, said Alachua County veteran service director Kim Davis. The donations collected will go toward future Rolling Thunder events, scholarships, prisoners of war and missing in action remembrance and veterans in need.

“The main thing is to raise money for Rolling Thunder,” said Rolling Thunder member Michael Wright. “It keeps up the vigilance for helping prisoners of war (and those) missing in action. Rolling Thunder is all about leaving nobody behind.”

Rolling Thunder is a non-profit organization consisting of veterans, family members of veterans and military supporters. The organization itself was created to bring awareness to the U.S. POW and those MIA, said Herb Hilderbrand, current president of Rolling Thunder Chapter Three and a Navy veteran.

The day started at 9:00 a.m. for check-in at the Gainesville Harley-Davidson. Entry was $15 for each rider, and $10 for each passenger and additional hands.

At each spot, a person draws a single card from the designated deck. After visiting all five locations, the participants will make their way to the American Legion Post 16 in Gainesville. Each attendee will end up with five different cards — or a poker hand. Whoever has the best hand wins $100, while the worst hand wins $50.

Upon arrival to each spot, riders would park their vehicles, enter the tavern, select a card and spend around 15 minutes talking to other friends, drinking and eating hot dogs, popcorn, chips and more.The total stop ranged anywhere from 10 to 45 minutes for each of participant.

“My favorite part about the Poker Run is the fellowship and brotherhood,” said Amvet member and Army veteran Pamela “Shortstop” Stop, “We’re all like-minded, we have the same past and we appreciate what everyone has gone through and come out victorious on the other side.”

Army veteran and Rolling Thunder Member Steve Missey said he enjoys the comradery the Poker Run and organization has to offer. He even said he’s been friends with some of the members for 20 years. Missey said there are veterans to meet from all five branches of the military, usually ages 30 or older.

“I like the friendship (in Rolling Thunder) because it reminds me of the Army,” said Missey, “We’re like a family.”

A couple of locations offered their own support or gift. For instance, the Amvets Post 86 donated a $100 check to Rolling Thunder and the Red Dog Saloon donated a large gift basket and said 20 percent of all drinks purchased went toward Rolling Thunder.

The attendees also participated in a moment of silence at Red Dog Saloon to say a prayer to a friend who passed away.

The Poker Run participants finished attending the last location at 3:30 p.m., the Alachua Sports Pub and Grill, and headed toward the American Legion Post 16 to find out the winners of the best and worst poker hand, participate in raffles and enjoy grilled hot dogs and hamburgers.

Hilderbrand said roughly $1,000 were fundraised based on entry fees alone and that even more was earned due to donations.

“It was very successful, last year only about 28 riders came out.” said Hilderbrand. “It’s all about getting the word out.”  

Follow Dana Cassidy on Twitter @danacassidy_ and contact her at dcassidy@alligator.org

Doug Morin and his dog, Sidecar, pull up to Alachua Sports Pub and Grill during the Rolling Thunder Poker Run.

Mark High, a 64-year-old regular at the Howlin Wolf bar in Putnam Hall, Florida, watches some of the visiting participants of the Rolling Thunder Poker Run.

Seventy-year-old Robert "Stoney" Stoneberger (center) and Rolling Thunder president Herb Hilderbrand (right) greet a newcomer.

Steve Missey holds a pool cue he won in the Rolling Thunder raffle.