Ronald McDonald House receives three water filtration systems

After having to use bottled water since opening, the Ronald McDonald House in Gainesville was given the gift of in-house water.

The house, located at 1600 SW 14th St., received three water filtration systems Monday from Best Water Solutions.

Before, the house depended entirely on donations of bottled water, Ronald McDonald House Charities of North Central Florida Executive Director Sherry Houston said. The donation will also reduce the house’s plastic use and waste.

RMHCNCF director of house operations and programs Theresa Drews said the house would sometimes use more than 100 bottles a day. With the new filtration systems, that number can be reduced to zero.

Blue Water Creations also donated personal, reusable water bottles for every family, Houston said.

“Having this purified water is a true benefit to our families,” Drews said. “It will have a lasting impact.”

The 31-room house is at full occupancy all year. Occupants have access to fresh meals from one of two kitchens, laundry services, housekeeping and activities, Houston said.

The purpose of the house is to provide a homelike setting for families where they can be close to their critically ill children being treated at UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital, Houston said.   

“Our families are going through so very much,” Houston said. “It’s a priceless gift for them.”

Having readily available filtered water is important for anyone at the house, Houston said, but especially for new mothers making formula or people with an autoimmune disease.

Jorge Zukoski, co-owner of Best Water Solutions, said he was excited to donate the filtration systems, and his team knew the difference it would make for the house.

“We wanted to help them accomplish their goals,” Zukoski said.

The systems were installed in three places in the house, Zukoski said. One was installed in the back kitchen, and two were installed in the front kitchen.

“We are the safety net for our families,” Houston said. “Having purified water is just an added luxury that makes their stay that much more comfortable.”