Sage, crystals and cookies. Psychics offer readings at Halloween fair

Shelley Gabay came to a psychic fair dressed in her ‘70s rock star fan Halloween costume looking for guidance.

The 20-year-old Santa Fe criminology freshman sat with psychics and spiritual healers dressed as witches and butterflies during the Halloween Psychic Fair on Saturday at The Sacred Earth Ministry, at 2606 NW 6th St.

About 100 Gainesville residents, students, psychics and healers gathered to read tarot cards, eat Halloween-themed cookies and bond over spirituality. The center sold supplies like bundles of sage in red twine, clusters of crystals and beaded wands.

Gabay said she turns to psychics during transitions in her life, whether it be traveling to a different country or starting college.

“I know it was kind of a random event for me to go to, but I grew up believing in the supernatural and the powers that we don’t see but I know are there,” she said.

Sunemaura O’Brien, a 59-year-old psychic counselor and spiritual teacher, dressed as the “fall witch” with an orange dress and a blue third eye drawn on her forehead.

Clients could sign up to wait in line to meet any of the four readers and three healers at the fair, O’Brien said.

She has been a psychic for the past 10 years and was happy to connect with people, she said.

The center’s staff is looking to host the fair more often, O’Brien said. The next psychic fair is scheduled for Nov. 3 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Melrose.

O’Brien said she doesn’t predict the future but does guide her clients toward the right path for them. She hopes skeptics who came to the fair learned more about the community.

“Don’t knock it until you try it,” O’Brien said. “Worst case scenario, it completely changes your life.”