Santa Fe College Student Senate moved forward with several bills Wednesday, which included amendments to court appearance rules and Senate meeting attendance requirements.

Senate voted 19-10 to approve a bill that amended the Student Body constitution to punish senators who refuse to appear before the Student Body Supreme Court if subpoenaed.

At-large or academic senators and leadership team members who refuse will be removed from their positions. If a club member refuses, Santa Fe Student Government will suspend club funds until the club member appears before the court.

The bill, created by Student Body President Conor Flynn, struck controversy with some chamber members.

Sen. Cody Brittain called the bill "fundamentally flawed," and raised issue with the different punishments for academic and at-large senators compared to club members.

Sen. Benjamin Myers, who filed the bill, said the bill’s purpose is to reinforce rules because "there’s got to be a little punishment if you don’t show up."

Senate also voted 33-2 to approve a bill by Sen. Karran Doekhi to amend attendance requirements for academic, at-large and club senators.

The bill lowered attendance requirements for the three from 85 percent to 75 percent of Senate meetings. In the Spring, Senate approved bills raising requirements from 75 percent to 85 percent.

Contact Hunter Williamson at hwilliamson@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @hunterewilliam