NEWS  |  SFC

Impeachment resolution of SFC student body president postponed

Student senators at Santa Fe College failed to address a resolution that could have led to Senate President Jeremy Pierce’s impeachment Wednesday.

This is the second time the resolution has been postponed, as senators were unable to vote on Pierce’s possible impeachment Nov. 19 because there weren’t enough senators left to vote at the tail end of the nearly four-hour session.

The Student Senate also failed to address an amendment that would have allowed the college’s administration to remove Student Government members without trial during Wednesday’s meeting, as again there were not enough senators left in the session to vote when the agenda reached the amendment.

The motion to postpone the impeachment was made by 19-year-old Sen. Connor Levine who wished to give senators more time to prepare for their upcoming finals. The motion passed 20 to 19.

The resolution will instead be addressed in Senate during Spring semester because Wednesday marked the final Fall meeting.

If senators choose to impeach Pierce — who faces formal complaints from senators who said he threatened them — he will still stand trial before he is removed from office, said Student Government Chief Justice Kyle Ramirez.

“These allegations — they’re not fully proven,” Ramirez said.