NEWS  |  SFC

Santa Fe Police Department teaches how to react in active shooter scenario

While it might be unpleasant to imagine being in the middle of an active shooter situation, knowing how to react is important if the scenario ever presents itself.

The Santa Fe College Police Department held a classroom training session on Friday that taught attendees how to react in a shooting situation.

About 50 people, mostly staff and faculty, attended the event. They also learned tips on keeping safe in the workroom and dealing with heated situations.

Despite the low odds of a shooting taking place, SFPD said it wants to teach people how to react if one were to occur — especially when such shootings are a reality in the U.S.

“A lot of times, these folks are just looking for body counts,” SFPD Lieutenant Ryan Woods said about attackers.

Nothing is going to stop them, he said.

“They already have the mindset: This is the endgame,” he said.

Even in the face of an active shooter situation, Woods said it’s important to know your options. First option: Run.

“Get away as fast as humanly possible,” he said.

Leave everything behind, including your belongings and — as terrible as it may be — the injured, he said. 

If you’re able to get away, get to somewhere safe before calling the police, he said.

Second option: Hide.

“Make it so that you don’t exist,” Woods said.

He recommended trying to block the door and turn off any sources of noise, such as cellphones. Woods also emphasized not getting cornered and having a way to maneuver throughout the room. He said the gunman needs to think no one is in the room.

In the meantime, Woods said to wait for law enforcement. They’ll confront the gunman, and the injured will be helped later.

Third option: Fight.

“If you cannot run, and you cannot hide, then you need to fight… for your life,” Woods said.

“Be committed to your actions,” he said.

Scan the room for a possible weapon. It can be anything: scissors, keys, an umbrella or even a stapler. Woods also stressed the need to report suspicious activity.

If you see something suspicious, report it to police.

Santa Fe Police Chief Ed Book said police will not be angry if suspicious activity turns out to be nothing. It’s best for everyone to be safe at the end of the day, he said.

Contact Hunter Williamson at hwilliamson@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @hunterewilliam