NEWS  |  SFC

Santa Fe College student senators vote on harassment posters

Santa Fe College student senators voted against a resolution asking the college to diversify posters about sexual harassment and approved a club overflow request at Wednesday’s meeting.

At the meeting, senators discussed a resolution claiming the sexual harassment posters around campus are discriminatory toward men because they depict men as the perpetrators. The resolution asked the college to examine the posters and change them to ads not based on gender. 

Senators deliberated for more than an hour. Sen. Connor Levine said if a student feels uncomfortable, they should talk to Vice President of Student Affairs Naima Brown or Associate Vice President of Student Affairs Dan Rodkin instead of bringing it to Senate.

But Sen. Shannon Lewis said that if a student feels discriminated against, Senate should address the issue and help them. 

Senators voted against the resolution by a slim margin of 19-18, with three abstaining.

For nearly 50 minutes, senators discussed whether to approve a $1,830 request by the Santa Fe Global Society to send 19 members to a conference in April.

Club representative Daniel Colmenares said the conference would benefit Santa Fe by providing its club members with valuable skills that will land them jobs later on.

Senators approved the request for the Leadership Team to review, and the request will be reviewed a second time at the next Senate meeting.

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 2/26/2015 under the headline “SFC senators vote on harassment posters”]