Santa Fe College Student Senate kicked off its first meeting of the Fall semester Wednesday afternoon with new senators and an update to the leadership team.

In a chamber starkly different from last Spring, senators swore in a new fellow senator and filled two additional Student Government positions.

With only a few returning senators from previous semesters, Taira Anderson, 20, joined a sea of fresh faces from summer as an at-large academic senator for the mathematics department.

Several senators who had been on leave of absence for the summer were reinstated.

The chamber also voted Sen. Skyla Eastman into the vacant secretary position and unanimously approved Hannah Eades as the new fundraising director.

The senate’s approval fills two of several vacant seats the leadership team is trying to fill, including the finance chair, event chair, treasurer and several judicial branch positions.

As Senate moves forward into a new semester with a fresh and not fully experienced chamber, Senate President Carol Daugherty reiterated SG’s goal to serve students and the community this semester.

"I’m hoping to see as many chairs filled as possible," she said.

"This is going to be my goal and I hope that’s y’all’s goal as well," she told senators, "because the more people that we have in here the more people that we can serve out there."

Contact Hunter Williamson at hwilliamson@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @hunterewilliam