<p>Student Government Budget and Appropriations Committee Chairwoman Emily Dunson gives the committee’s report. Dunson addressed the reason for budget increases in her report. (June 7,2018)</p>

Student Government Budget and Appropriations Committee Chairwoman Emily Dunson gives the committee’s report. Dunson addressed the reason for budget increases in her report. (June 7,2018)

Student Government may have more money available to use soon.

Changes to the annual budget unanimously passed first readings at Tuesday’s Student Senate meeting. The newly proposed budget is now worth $20,819,571, according to Student Senate Bill 2018-1047.

SG Budget and Appropriations Committee Chairwoman Emily Dunson said the $408,219 increase from the original budget is based on an estimation that students will sign up for more credit hours in the coming year than was originally anticipated when the budget was first written.

“It’s important that we are remaining updated in our budgets so that we can remain as fiscally responsible as possible and as accurate as possible,” Dunson said.

One of the largest increases in spending on a single item will be awarded to SG projects in the new budget, according to the bill. This will be a $73,140 increase over the original budget, if approved at the next meeting.

Student Body President Ian Green intends to use the new funds on a variety of new projects, he said. These projects include the previously announced Bridges, a minority outreach program,and new projects like the Bledsoe Drive parking lot project. It would allow students going to Southwest Recreation Center to park for free.

“We are constantly looking for innovative ways to enhance the student experience,” Green said. “And, we always accept different suggestions throughout the school year.”

The money in the budget comes from student activity and service fees, Dunson said. Students pay $19.06 in fees per credit hour they enroll in, a cost that hasn’t increased in the past four years.

The budget will be heard again in second readings at next week’s senate meeting Tuesday.

Follow Gillian Sweeney on Twitter @gilliangsweeney and contact her at gsweeney@alligator.org.