<p>T.J. Villamil, presidential candidate for the Unite Party, speaks outside the Reitz Union on Wednesday afternoon.</p>

T.J. Villamil, presidential candidate for the Unite Party, speaks outside the Reitz Union on Wednesday afternoon.

Student Government Treasurer Tj Villamil announced his candidacy with the Unite Party for Student Body president between classes Wednesday afternoon.

About 40 students were on the Reitz Union North Lawn as Villamil spoke about the upcoming election and his campaign.

"I have big plans for the future of Student Government," he said.

He spoke of using technology to enhance the student experience. He also spoke of continuing the results the Unite Party produces.

The Unite Party, started in 2009, has had three presidential campaigns and six party platforms, said party spokeswoman Christina Bonarrigo.

"We have the most student-friendly campus in the world," Villamil said. "But why be happy with the status quo?"

As the son of two Cuban immigrants, Villamil said he wants to honor their commitment to him by serving others.

As Student Body treasurer, Villamil said he increased funding for student organizations and worked with student leaders on the initiative to expand and renovate the Reitz Union.

Villamil was a senator for two consecutive years and chaired the Budget and Appropriations Committee. He was elected treasurer in Spring 2010.

The Students Party has yet to choose a candidate.

Villamil plans to select his treasurer and vice president next week.

He said he wants to get this out of the way so the Unite Party can start building a platform.

"I am excited to unite this campus as one," he said.