After Tuesday night’s UF Student Senate meeting, Christian athletes and Students for a Democratic Society are now able to fund their organizations’ events for another year.

Senators approved $1,171.45 for Fellowship of Christian Athletes and approved $212.10 for SDS. The money will be used on advertising, printing fees, food and bringing guest speakers to meetings.

The bills were passed unanimously at the beginning of the meeting after Sen. Austin Chamboux and Sen. Hadar Arazi motioned. 

Senate members also read through a resolution supporting the advancement of public safety on campus and in the surrounding areas. It was the result of a November meeting between City Commission and the Senate judiciary committee.

The resolution includes safety measures such as expanding lighting on and off campus and crosswalk safety measures in areas with heavier traffic.

“This was something where (senators) ... and the city commission saw a big need,” Sen. Katie Burns said, “and they were able to come together and spark some interesting conversations that will hopefully inspire real change.”

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 1/28/2015 under the headline “UF Senate proposes public safety solution"]