Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Shortly after the UF executive branch announced a new Chick-fil-A expansion, a group of 11 UF graduate students sent an email to President Fuchs.

They outlined concerns about expanding an organization that “has repeatedly made national news for their open stance against the LGBT community,” according to their email.

The email also said they “find it completely unacceptable our Student Government, which is funded by student fees, used their time to create a promotional video for this expansion.”

The email was sent when President Fuchs was out of office, so, as of press time, he has yet to release an official response.

UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes said UF supports all members of its community and expects its vendors do the same. She also said most employees at the Chick-fil-A campus locations are UF students.

Sikes said SG officials have been trying to expand Chick-fil-A for at least 5 years, and the expansion was approved this year by the Food Service Advisory Committee, which is made up of faculty and students.

Campus food services are all under Aramark, which operates under the name “Gator Dining Services” at UF.

“Gator Dining will not comment on the business practices of other companies, so we will not defend Chick-fil-A or state their position,” said Jill Rodriguez, the senior district marketing manager at Gator Dining Services.

Rodriguez also said Aramark was named one of the Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality for two years in a row and earned a perfect score on the 2016 Corporate Equality Index, administered by the Human Rights Campaign.

Student Body President Susan Webster said she did not know about the email to President Fuchs regarding Chick-fil-A.

“If you have a problem with a company, then I would advise not to use them, and it’s the discretion of that particular person,” Webster said. “I think that at the end of the day, it’s been something the students have asked for. It’s not bringing Chick-fil-A to campus; it’s already here, but extending the options that you are now offered.”

The chain’s expansion on campus will be funded by Gator Dining, but the exact cost has yet to be determined. Renovations should begin during Summer 2017, Rodriguez said.

She said Chick-fil-A and the P.O.D. Market in the Hub are expected to close once Au Bon Pain opens in Newell Hall in May 2017, and Chick-fil-A will expand into the P.O.D. Market. It should reopen Fall 2017.