<p class="p1">Cory Yeffet speaks about the Student Government executive branch recommendations during a Student Senate meeting on April 22, 2014.</p>

Cory Yeffet speaks about the Student Government executive branch recommendations during a Student Senate meeting on April 22, 2014.

UF Student Body Treasurer Nicholas Carre likes to compare Student Government to a juicy piece of steak.

He compared SG to a steak because it provides nutrients; the conferences and other events they participate in are like sides of coleslaw or mashed potatoes to add to the wholesomeness.

“I think the plate of food will taste better as the year goes on,” he said.

Carre, along with six other members of SG, had the opportunity to travel to Alabama this past weekend to attend the annual Southeastern Conference Exchange, where UF SG took home all three awards it was nominated for.

UF SG received the SEC Outstanding Legislation award for its 2013 resolution in support of tuition equity for undocumented students; the Student Government of the Year award for the 2014-2015 year; and Student Government Leader of the Year, awarded to former UF Student Body President Cory Yeffet.

Yeffet, 22, said he was honored to be nominated, but he didn’t expect to win.

He said he was proud of UF taking home the Student Government of the Year award, because the changes and programs were a group effort.

“That to me is so much more fulfilling than an individual award,” he said.

Programs from the 2014-2015 SG year included: the partnership between UF and Uber, which offers students a 50 percent discount within a designated area and time; the Walk Safe program, which was implemented after a string of assaults on campus; and the addition of four SNAP vans.

The goal was to enhance student safety, Yeffet said.

Being able to secure a $10 million budget to renovate Newell Hall to provide students with more study space was also an achievement for SG, he added.

UF Senate President Davis Bean, one of the seven members who attended the conference, said it was a productive trip that gave them the chance to observe other SG systems.

UF Student Body President Joselin Padron-Rasines, who also attended the trip, said it made her confident SG can come together to collaborate on ideas and initiatives for the upcoming year.

Carre congratulated the senators at the meeting for the 2016-2017 budget, which he said reflects the balance of cost associated with expanding student services.

While other student governments receive money from their schools, he said, UF SG has the power to control the fees and funds of student services, allowing SG to have a tangible impact on the Student Body.