UF’s Student Government won’t revisit the Student Body President’s nominees for UF’s Supreme Court, a committee ruled Sunday evening.

Ben Weiner (Impact), the chair of the Judiciary Committee, ruled against a motion to hear nominees for the court from Student Body President Joselin Padron-Rasines because of his interpretation of the Rules and Procedures of the Student Senate. Because the nominations weren’t emailed by noon Friday, they weren’t considered for the agenda.

“It’s the same process we’ve had in the past,” Weiner said.

Noon is not written as the deadline in SG’s rules and procedures.

Per the SG codes, legislation must be sent in two days before committee meetings. In the Student Body constitution, nominees aren’t categorized as legislation.

Padron-Rasines emailed the Senate on Monday, stating she was going to reappoint the two nominees for the court.

Ricardo Sabater (Access), a committee member, argued Monday’s email notified the committee.

Toward the end of the meeting, Ford Dwyer (Access), a committee member, attempted to overturn Weiner’s decision.

Weiner argued the meeting needed to end at 6 p.m. to allow the Replacement and Agenda Committee to meet.

He adjourned the meeting. He said it wasn’t fair to keep the other committee waiting.

Nicholas Gurney, the UF SG solicitor general, said Weiner shouldn’t have been allowed to adjourn the meeting before the motion was decided due to parliamentary procedure.

“Robert’s Rule (of Order) is to allow everyone to have a voice, and that voice was taken away,” he said.

@MelissaGomez004 

mgomez@alligator.org