Student candidates for SG Fall elections see last day of interviews

Cynthia Mo climbed to the third floor of the Reitz Union Tuesday armed with a list of ideas to improve UF.

“I noticed a lot of things that could be improved, and why complain about things and not do anything?” said the 18-year-old exploratory engineering freshman, who interviewed with Impact Party to run as a candidate for Fall Student Government elections.

Tuesday was the final day for students to qualify and interview with an SG political party at the Reitz Union. Impact Party was the only party accepting candidates. In total, 227 students registered, with 213 students registering with Impact and 14 registering as independent, UF Supervisor of Elections Eric Hobbs wrote in an email.

Fall 2015 saw a slightly larger turnout of potential candidates, with 190 students registering with Impact, 46 with Access and two as independents.

Mo said she wants to get involved with SG to leave UF better when she graduates. If she becomes a candidate, Mo said she wants to add off-campus SNAP locations and organize campuswide exercise events.

Philip Pham, a UF nutritional sciences sophomore, also registered with Impact on Tuesday, but he said he didn’t want to interview with party representatives.

Pham registered with Impact to get involved on campus and because his fraternity brother is involved with the party, he said.

“I kind of wanted to get involved because of him, show support,” the 19-year-old said.