On Tuesday, UF students can attend the only two-sided debate during Spring elections.

The Freshman Leadership Council, an organization within SG, will host a debate between the executive candidates of Swamp Party and Access Party on Feb. 17 in the University Auditorium.

The FLC has hosted the debate since 2006, but according to Alligator archives, the annual event was cancelled last Spring because only Swamp Party had a full qualifying ticket.

Shane Randel, the 21-yearold FLC chairman, said the purpose of the debate is for students to learn about the parties’ ideas for UF.

“We want to spread the message that whether you’re affiliated or learning about SG for the first time, the debate is really for you,” the UF business administration and sports management senior said.

The event starts at 6 p.m., but doors open at 5:30 p.m.

Melody Zargari, director of Student Government Outreach, said the debate will last about an hour and be moderated by UF journalism professor Mike Foley.

The 19-year-old said each party will have two minutes to answer each question and the other party will have one minute to respond. There will be 10 questions.

“It’s definitely one of the most amazing opportunities I’ve had at the University of Florida,” said Zagari, a UF international business sophomore.

Audience members will also have the opportunity to ask questions through Twitter and Facebook by using the hashtag #UFdecides.

Questions about their parties and platforms are directed to the executive candidates.

The executive candidates for Swamp Party are Joseph Michaels for Student Body president, Tia Smart for Student Body vice president and Hadar Arazi for Student Body treasurer.

Swamp Party

Access Party’s executive candidates are Joselin Padron-Rasines for Student Body president, Kevin Doan for Student Body vice president and Nicholas Carre for Student Body treasurer.

Access Party

Elections are Feb. 24 and Feb. 25 from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 2/16/2015 under the headline “FLC to host only two-sided debate Tuesday"]