The City of Gainesville holds 19th Annual Fourth of July Celebration

<p dir="ltr"><span>People file in through the main entrance to attend the festival.</span></p>
<p><span>&nbsp;</span></p>

People file in through the main entrance to attend the festival.

UF alumni Matt Redinger was searching online for ways to celebrate his 10-month-old daughter Emmy’s first Independence Day when he came across the City of Alachua Fourth of July Celebration.

“If there hadn’t been an event like this, we probably might have just stayed home or cooked out,” Redinger said. “Having somewhere to go makes you feel more connected to your community.”

Tens of thousands of people flooded the Hal Brady Recreation Complex in Alachua Wednesday for the 19th annual celebration known as the “Largest Small Town Fireworks Display in America.” It launched fireworks at 9:30 p.m.

“You can see the fireworks from miles away,” said Redinger’s wife, Amanda Redinger, 29.

Over 30,000 people were expected to attend the festival at 14300 NW 146 Terrace in Alachua, said Gainesville Police Department officer Corey Martin.

The event had two bounce houses, a rock climbing wall, water slides, a skateboard park and other outdoor attractions.

This is the third year UF alumna Jessica Wangler came to the festival with her husband and 7-year-old son Jake.

“It’s a nice way to celebrate the evening,” Wangler, 31, said. “Jake loves the waterslides.”

About 20 vendors lined up in the parking lot to sell funnel cakes, snow cones, kettle corn and more.

Ginger Lee has sold hand-made kettle corn at the event for 10 years. She says the event has grown over time.

“It’s super large but has a hometown feel,” Lee, 44, said. “Everyone is happy to be here.”

SunState Federal Credit Union, Alachua Chamber of Commerce, Gator Domino’s and 21 others sponsored the event.

Indoor activities included bingo, dancing groups and a musical performance from Bill Rogers & Friends. Local bands such as Savants of Soul, Aunt Jackie Band and Antoinette Hunt also performed that day.

UF economics and English student Matt Fowler played guitar for the Savants of Soul at the fireworks display. He recommends college students come to immerse themselves in the community.

“We live here, too,” Fowler, 21 said. “There’s a lot more to Gainesville than just UF.”

UF student Matt Fowler plays guitar with the Savants of Soul on stage in the field.

People go down two water slides featured at the event.

Children board the Wizzer, one of many outdoor attractions featured at the festival.

People use bungee jumps during the festival.

A crowd gathers to watch two people climb the rock climbing wall.