1. Unlikely friendship forms out of Richard Spencer event
Jimena Tavel, Staff Writer

friendship

Furniss and Long

When Richard Spencer spoke at UF, a black Gainesville resident offered a former member of the Aryan Brotherhood a ride in his car and an open mind. The two formed an unlikely bond.

2. Mural by Women’s March Gainesville defaced within one day of painting

Catie Wegman, Staff Writer

Defaced Mural

Pamela Smith, a volunteer with Women’s March Gainesville, said that on Sunday afternoon, the group received an inquiry explaining that someone driving down 34th street had seen a single man defacing the mural.

Fifteen volunteers from Women’s March Gainesville painted a mural on a 34th Street wall illustrating their stance on controversial opinions such as immigration, healthcare and gay rights. One day later, it was defaced. Those who painted over the mural wrote their own opinions about the issues displayed, linking those in the “resistance” to autism, dubbing those who identify as LGBTQ+ with having a “mental disorder” and replacing the “Black Lives Matter” with “Blue Lives Matter.”

3. Family creates scholarship in alumnus’ memory

Adam Turner, Staff Writer

Dr. Huy Huynh

After UF alumnus Dr. Huy Huynh died of brain cancer at 33, his family created a scholarship in his name to ensure that his legacy as a “Triple Gator” lives on.

4. UF student dies falling off apartment balcony

Meryl Kornfield, Staff Writer

UF mechanical engineering senior Ian Burns died after falling from the third floor of 13th Street Apartments. A Gainesville Police spokesperson said no foul play was suspected in the fall.

5. UF Housing official arrested for grand theft; six employees suspended

David Hoffman, Staff Writer

Generic Crime

The senior director of UF’s Housing and Residence Education was arrested Monday after allegedly using $180,607.65 in university funds for personal gain and benefit, police said.

6. Gainesville doctor cusses out patient

Jessica Giles, Staff Writer

A woman said she waited for more than an hour to be seen by a doctor at Gainesville After Hours Clinic. She asked the doctor for a refund of her $80 copay. In a video, the doctor curses out the patient.

7. White nationalist activist Richard Spencer plans to speak at UF

Jimena Tavel, Staff Writer

Richard Spencer

Richard Spencer

Richard Spencer, president of the National Policy Institute, an organization that lobbies for the “people of European descent in the United States,” requested to speak at UF in September. Following violent rallies in Charlottesville, Virginia, where one person died, his talk was pushed back to October.

8. UF student athlete arrested after striking ex-boyfriend in the face, university police say
David Hoffman, Staff Writer

A UF diver was arrested after police said she slapped her ex-boyfriend multiple times in the parking lot next to James G. Pressly Stadium.

9. UF Dean of Students Jen Day Shaw resigns

Molly Vossler, Staff Writer

Jen Day Shaw

Jen Day Shaw

UF decided not to renew UF Dean of Students Jen Day Shaw’s  appointment after learning that Day Shaw provided a positive reference for a former student affairs official who was fired in 2016 for using his work computer to purchase pornography.

10. Gainesville, UF prepares for Hurricane Irma

Jessica Giles and Christina Morales, Staff Writers

hurricane-2.jpg

The empty shelves of a local Gainesville Walmart, days before Hurricane Irma strikes Florida.

A state of emergency and a state on edge. As Hurricane Irma churned toward Florida as a Category 5 with winds topping 185 mph, Gainesville residents, weary of the possible track, prepared for the worst.