Trick or (dog) treat: Halloweener Derby raises money for cancer foundation

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-6986f558-7fff-de7c-ede9-9eb7230351e3"><span>Seven-year-old Abigail Leonard holds her 3-year-old dog, Ginger, on Sunday during the annual Halloweener Derby. The Leonard family adopted Ginger after she was displaced by Hurricane Irma.</span></span></p>

Seven-year-old Abigail Leonard holds her 3-year-old dog, Ginger, on Sunday during the annual Halloweener Derby. The Leonard family adopted Ginger after she was displaced by Hurricane Irma.

Wearing his Spider-Man costume, Pete, an 8-year-old Miniature Schnauzer, was ready to compete for best costume Sunday afternoon.

Pete, who went by Peter Barker, made his fourth appearance at the fourth-annual Halloweener Derby at Westside Park, hosted by the Climb for Cancer Foundation.  

About 50 dogs participated in the derby, said Dianne Farb, the co-founder of Climb for Cancer Foundation, an organization that raises money to fund programs for cancer patients and their families.

The event cost about $500 to host and raised about $4,000 for the foundation, Farb said. 

Pete and his owner, 60-year-old Susan Harre, come to the derby every year.

“We enjoy being around other wiener dogs,” Harre said. “It’s a fun event for them and myself.” 

The event was free to humans, while dogs were charged a registration fee. Dachshunds and Chihuahuas competed in races, while all breeds participated in the costume contest and dog walk trail, Farb said.

This was Crystal Mills’ third time bringing her dog Dash, a small Daschshund, to the race. 

“Dash was No. 2 last year in the race, so we are hoping to leave winners this time around,” the 33-year-old said. “But we love supporting this cause and event, regardless.” 

Dash faced a formidable contender in Sophie, a 6-year-old Dachshund, who dressed as a hotdog. 

Sophie has never participated in the race before, said her owner, 24-year-old Caroline Quanbeck. 

“To be honest, it sounded fun,” she said. “And it was the perfect opportunity to dress her up as a hotdog, which I have been dying to do.”

halloweener

Piper, a 5-year-old teacup Chihuahua, stands tall Sunday afternoon after winning the best-dressed award during the annual Halloweener Derby. All proceeds from the event went toward the Climb for Cancer Foundation.

Gina Romeo, 21, and Adam Ray, 22, both UF graduates who live in Tallahassee, drove down to Gainesville because their dog Bowie won the Dachshund race two years in a row.

Bowie kept his winning streak this year. Although the couple takes him on daily walks, Romeo doesn’t consider that training, she said.

“Honestly, he runs to me because he has separation anxiety,” she said.